Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Planning for the long run: Why I build climbing walls

Just over 3 years ago my wife and I had the privilege of meeting our first child. I was thrilled that we were going to have a boy.

Once I was able to hold him in my arms I knew that I wanted to share every experience I could with him. I wanted to teach him all I could and help him to find creative ways to enjoy Gods creation. I wanted to show them the beauty of the mountains and the fear that overwhelms you when you are standing atop a cliff and think of what would happen if you were to fall. I wanted to find a way we could play and be reminded of the power of our creator at the same time.

Eleven months after our first born came we welcomed our second son into our family. The need to plan for the future increased. That was when I was introduced to rock climbing.

I have built an in-house rock wall in every apartment we have lived in since they were first born to let the boys climb and learn to enjoy the action of climbing. I hope in the next couple of years I can take them out to enjoy the creation and start to enjoy the creator.

"From a knowledge of His work, we shall know Him" -Robert Boyle

"We cannot fathom the mystery of a single flower. Nor is it intended that we should." -John Locke

"Of what I call God, and fools call Nature." -Robert Browning

"Nature is the art of God." -Dante Alighieri

"The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the creator." -Louis Pasteur

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made." Romans 1:20





No comments:

Post a Comment