Monday, July 16, 2012

Philippines

I just returned from an amazing trip to the philippines.  There were people from all over the world at this small conference and it was amazing to see what God was doing all over the world.  Here are a few thoughts about travel in Manilla.

Although I was inside most days, there was an occasional trip out to Market Market (words are often repeated twice in the philippines) to eat Pancit, Langonisa, or meat on a stick.  Over all though, I loved the Buko shakes.  My favorite dish, chicken adobo, was really hard to find though.

It was amazing to be in a country that has so much Christian influence.  Although a lot of the youth I met at Market Market were not Christians, I saw traces of Christians everywhere.  Churches that rent out movie theaters, youth that bring their guitar to the mall and play, and signs all over the road about Jesus.  It was much different than where I am currently.

The people were friendly.  One person even shared his umbrella with me while it was raining and walked with me about a kilometer.  Others loaned money to friends of mine when we couldn't find an ATM.  It was a fun culture.  Stay up late and wake up late was the norm for people there.  It was a normal scene to have a huge rush at McDonalds at 10PM.  Nor for IceCream, but for super sized meals.  If you get to go, be sure to have a meal at the Jollibee.  They are everywhere.

I never made it to the beaches, but I was told by everyone that the philippines was an amazing destination spot.  Travel during rush hour is a waste of time.  Try to avoid that like the plague.  Make sure your taxi driver uses the meter, before he starts to drive away!


No comments:

Post a Comment